Friday, February 8, 2013

Souvenir 12.28

At the end of December Ulsan experienced an unexpected and uncommon snow storm.

It was the last day of school before winter break and I had no classes that day but a nice long day of desk warming ahead of me. I had been filling my bag full of distractions when I got a call from my boss.

"Did you get the message?" Soon-Ha

"No, what message?"

"The school is starting late because of snow." Soon-Ha

"It's snowing?! What time do I need to be there?"

"10a.m."

I set my bag aside, quickly threw on my warm clothes and headed outside with my camera. I was shocked but pleasantly surprised when I saw the fluffy thick snowflakes falling from the sky. I walked around my area for a half an hour and then decided it was time to get on the bus. I figured an hour was more then enough time to get to school on the bus, and I thought that if I got to school early I'd walk to a nearby coffee shop and buy a hot chocolate to celebrate real winter.

My bus stop was crowded with late starters and a large wave of people pushed their way onto the bus I needed. I found a standing spot by a handle and held on as the bus slowly inched its way forward. I quickly began to regret my decision to take the bus as it slid down the hill at an ants pace. At the next stop more people piled on and I was pushed along towards the middle of the bus. Once again the bus slowly coasted on the slush and let in more people. With each stop the bus made, the farther back I moved to allow more people in. A few people would get out of the bus and people would push for the empty seats they had abandoned. After standing for a half an hour (and only driving by 3 stops) a seat opened up in the very back and an Adjuma (an elderly women) grabbed my hand and made me sit by her. I smiled my thanks and she spoke to me in Korean with a smile on her face. The bus continued to slide around the road and I decided to make myself comfortable by taking off my hat and scarf since I was 3 stops away from school and I knew we wouldn't be there any time soon. More people continued to get on the bus. Everyone's shoulders were touching and I wondered why the bus driver even bothered to open the bus doors. But some how more people filtered through and the windows were so fogged up that no one could see a thing outside.

I started to kakoa talk (a free messaging system similar to instant message) my Co-Teacher explaining that the bus was very slow and that I would be late. She was understanding and sent me such cute messages making sure I was safe in the snow. The bus suddenly stopped and people who were by a window tried to clear off the fog to see outside. From my high position in my seat I could see that a bus in front of us was stuck. After waiting for ten minutes the bus driver decided to open the bus doors and people started to file out. I was hot and had spent the majority of the bus ride wishing I had walked to school instead so I jumped out of my seat quicker then anyone else.

The cool snowy air was refreshing and I followed a line of brave Koreans to the sidewalk. I walked past five cars, two buses, and a news truck that were all stuck on the ice that had formed a thick layer over the road. Many of the people walking on the sidewalk were dressed in fancy clothes and wearing heels. Some even carried umbrellas to avoid the snow. I kakoa talked my Co-Teacher again telling her I was walking to school. She sent me a cartoon of two little animals holding cheer pompoms and yelling, "Go, go!" Everyone continued to slip and slide along the sidewalk and I was able to pass many people walking because of my winter boots and (I'd like to think) my pro-ice walking ability.

I've always liked the long sidewalk that follows the hills between my part of town and my school. There are some large gardens below, hiking paths above, and trees lining the sidewalk. With the snow steadily falling everything seemed even prettier.

I was having a great time despite my unanswered question of why the city didn't have salt trucks on the road making sure ice didn't form when my Ipod shuttled to "Beautiful Things" by Gungor. I turned my music up and soaked in the wonder of the moment.

"You make beautiful things, You make beautiful things out of dust".

The snow melted on my face and it felt like a piece of home.

"You are making me new".

I didn't even mind the slow people in dress shoes that I had to pass.

No cars passed the entire mile walk and this waygook (foreigner) hummed along to the song the whole way to school (which took me playing the song three times).

I made it to school close to 11am refreshed but tired. Thankfully I didn't have anything to do besides sit at my desk and eat lunch. It was a perfect kind of day. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment