Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Another Adventure

I am abandoning my attempts at customizing this blog (for now) because I have less then two hours before my flight leaves San Francisco. So please forgive the boring blue for now. :]

Ever since my study abroad experience in Iceland I have longed for another overseas adventure. The question was when and where. After a disappointing fall through back in 2011 I decided to try again in February 2012. I applied through Footprints and found myself in the waiting game once more. Fill this out, get this, wait, wait, fill this out, how does this sound? get certified, wait, go here, stamp this, mail that, wait, there is a spot, wait. You get the picture. I found myself blocking myself from making any future plans because I didn't want to get my hopes up again. With each step closer I continued my rehearsed response, "I hope to be in South Korea this fall teaching English."

One sunny day in August I was told a simple but honest truth: make plans! That night I had a heart to heart with God. I came away with an image of an open door. God gently told me "I opened the door for you and you are through." Then I was ask, "Why are you just sitting in the doorway?" Why was I sitting at the doorway? Why wasn't I confident in the open position that had been offered to me?

I started making plans that night. I started to trust that God was in control of the whole situation. A few weeks later (when I least expected it) I got the email I had been waiting for: my start date.

These last three weeks have flown by. With trips to Chicago, the farm, to target, to the doctor, and even to get my teeth cleaned by a friend. Thankfully I leave knowing all of the fair wells said are not goodbyes, but see you later.

Each day I take another step into the room God opened up to me. South Korea, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment